Saturday 26 July 2014

Laura Lam's 'False Hearts' picked up by Tor UK

I'll admit that I could have written that title a little differently but, right now, I like it just the way it is :o) From the press release,

Julie Crisp, at Tor UK has pre-empted World English Language rights for False Hearts and an untitled novel by Laura Lam from Juliet Mushens at The Agency Group in a six figure deal.

Julie Crisp, Editorial Director at Pan Macmillan said: ‘I was completely hooked from the first page by Laura’s writing. To me it was like reading Hunger Games meets Blade Runner meets The Shining Girls. Thrilling, addictive and completely page-turning. Laura’s an amazing storyteller and I’m thrilled to be working with her and Juliet on this exciting novel’

Raised in Mana’s Hearth, a retreat that’s closed off from the rest of society; denied access to technology or modern medicine, twin sisters Taema and Tila dream of a life beyond the walls of the compound. When their lives are threatened they finally manage escape to San Francisco and a life that’s beyond anything they could have imagined.

Ten years later, Tila returns to the twins’ home in the city, terrified and covered in blood, just before the Police arrive and arrest her for murder - the first homicide by a civilian in decades. Taema is given a proposition: go undercover as her sister and perhaps save her twin’s life. For the police believe that Tila was involved with the Ratel, a powerful crime syndicate. But during her investigation she discovers disturbing links between the twins’ past and their present. Once unable to keep anything from each other, the sisters now discover the true cost of secrets.

Juliet Mushens from The Agency Group said 'False Hearts is an adrenaline-fuelled thriller, packed full of twists and turns with a compelling heroine at its heart. Laura is very talented and I am thrilled that Pan Macmillan will be her publisher.'

Laura said ‘This year has been a roller coaster, and this is definitely one of the highest highs. I loved writing False Hearts so much and I think Macmillan will do such a wonderful job introducing the world to Taema and Tila. This is a dream come true.’

I somehow never got round to reading Laura Lam's 'Pantomime' (but then I never get round to reading a lot of books) but heard enough good things said about it to be very interested in reading 'False Hearts' when it is published (at the beginning of 2016). I know it's a way off yet but will you be reading 'False Hearts'? And what have I been missing with 'Pantomime'?

No comments:

Post a Comment