Saturday 7 September 2013

One for 2014? 'Archetype' (M.D. Waters)

I've been blogging a little while now, here and there, and it still amazes me how publishing as a whole manages to stay ahead of itself, not only in terms of getting the next book out but getting people talking about it as well. Fair play to 'em I say, having totally been sucked into that discussion with my 'One for...?' posts :o)

Take 'Archetype' for example. Dutton won't be publishing it until February next year (I was under the impression that Tor UK were publishing it here but can't find anything to back that up now...) but advance copies are already doing the rounds, including one that landed on my doorstep. Check out the blurb...


Emma wakes in a hospital, with no memory of what came before. Her husband, Declan, a powerful, seductive man, provides her with new memories, but her dreams contradict his stories showing her a past life she can’t believe possible: memories of war, of a camp where girls are trained to be wives, of love for another man. Something inside her tells her not to speak of this but she does not know why. She only knows she is at war with herself.

Suppressing those dreams during her daylight hours, Emma lets Declan mold her into a happily married woman, and begins to fall in love with him. But the day Noah stands before her, the line between her reality and dreams shatters.

In a future where women are a rare commodity, Emma fights for freedom but is held captive by the love of two men—one her husband, the other her worst enemy. If only she could remember which is which… 

Now I've got to say that this is the kind of book that I wouldn't normally go anywhere near, especially with reading time being scarce (blahblahblah). 'Archetype' has caught my eye though as I read it (during a publishing work experience placement) while it was on submission. I was interested enough to read about half of it, before skipping ahead to the end to see how it ended, and then gave up. The book felt like it was going nowhere fast, at the time, but there was enough to it to have me thinking that I might give it another go now. December is due to be an incredibly busy month (not just because of Christmas either) and I reckon 'Archetype' might be just the book to dip in and out of during all the hectic stuff. We'll see but, in the meantime, has 'Archetype' caught your eye?

No comments:

Post a Comment