Wednesday 9 October 2013

Nostalgic Cover Art Post - 'Neverwhere' (Neil Gaiman)

I've spent the last few days clearing out loads of books that I know I will never read again. It's been hard to let some of them go but if I'm not reading them then it's time isn't it?
One of the good things about this though is that I'm finding books that I had totally forgotten I had but will definitely read now I've remembered them; like this one...


Under the streets of London there's a world most people could never even dream of. A city of monsters and saints, murderers and angels, and pale girls in black velvet. Richard Mayhew is a young businessman who is about to find out more than he bargained for about this other London. A single act of kindness catapults him out of his safe and predictable life and into a world that is at once eerily familiar and yet utterly bizarre. There's a girl named Door, an Angel called Islington, an Earl who holds Court on the carriage of a Tube train, a Beast in a labyrinth, and dangers and delights beyond imagining... And Richard, who only wants to go home, is to find a strange destiny waiting for him below the streets of his native city.

It's not often you find a cover that just fits the book perfectly, this is one of those covers. You've got London Above (with a little hint of foggy magic hiding in that skyline) and London Below looking all dark and mysterious erm... below. What I love about this book is that the cover opens up onto another cover showing a little bit more of those tunnels.

I'd read 'Neverwhere' before moving to London and was more than a little disappointed to find that London wasn't all that magical when I finally moved there. Or is it? Every so often I wonder...
I've got the 'Black Company Re-Read' to finish off but once that's done I reckon I'll be picking up 'Neverwhere' again. Have you read it?

2 comments:

  1. I have a copy on a bookshelf and its on my 'to read' list for sometime soon......

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have that same copy. I've been meaning to read it for years but never got around to it, sadly.

    ReplyDelete