Wednesday 12 June 2013

Cover Art - 'A Discourse In Steel' (Paul S. Kemp)

Just because it is on my desk, staring at me (books can stare...) in all its 'Sword and Sorcery' glory...


This is everything that the cover for 'The Hammer and the Blade' wanted to be but didn't quite manage. Very striking and with just the right hint of derring do that says, 'this is sword and sorcery and it's going to be fun'!
While we're all here, have some blurb,

Egil and Nix have retired, as they always said they would. No, really – they have! No more sword and hammer-play for them!
But when two recent acquaintances come calling for help, our hapless heroes find themselves up against the might of the entire Thieves Guild.
And when kidnapping the leader of the most powerful guild in the land seems like the best course of action, you know you’re in over your head…

If there's a Thieves Guild involved then it's definitely Sword and Sorcery time :o) Talking of which, it always seems to be the Thieves and the Assassins who get Guilds (unless you're Terry Pratchett of course). What other Guilds would you like to see in a Sword and Sorcery setting?

I had a lot of fun with the last book (even though I wasn't sure about the ending, still not sure in fact) which is why I'm reading it almost as we speak, along with 'Wasp' (a very good book so far) and wherever I am with the Black Company books. Talking of which, I have a post to write. See you all later :o)

2 comments:

  1. I'd like to see an inventor's guild, but I suppose that'd be more of a steampunk than a sword an sorcery setting. They'd get protection from the weird and sometimes dangerous machines they'd create (and which would often run amok)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had mixed reactions to the first one, and the biggest reasons I rated it as highly as I did was because Nix and Egil reminded me of a character duo I've roleplayed in the past. Still, I'm more than willing to give the sequel a try and see how it plays out.

    ReplyDelete